Monday, March 13, 2006

An explanation...

OK, so I got to thinking about this blog and looking back at some of my posts and realized that there might be some gaps that need to be filled in regarding the pregnancy. Basically, I realized that unless I correspond with someone personally and they get to ask questions that it might seem like I am all over the place. So here goes. The events up until now and "the plan" for the the coming events [Lord willing :-)].
Sept 5, 2005:
First day of Last Menstrual Period (LMP) We knew that it was possible that I might get pregnant so I took note of this day "just in case".
End of Sept:
I took a home pregnancy test and it was "positive". Since those tests are 99% accurate if administered correctly and I was already getting a few symptoms we went ahead and told family.
November-December:
We had to decide what was going to be the order of events and where everything was going to take place in regards to the birth. Since we are planning to be in Grenada for basically all of 2006, this posed some serious questions. Was I going to have the baby in GD? Or go home to the States? If in the USA, where? Colorado with my parents or Maryland with Paul's? I really want a home birth with a midwife as opposed to a hospital so that complicates things too. What state will allow home births? At what cost? What about pre/postnatal care etc? How are we going to pay for everything?!
January 2006:
We were in Maryland for Christmas this time so I looked into getting doctors appointments while there. Basically, I discovered that if you don't have insurance and/or live in the state it can be almost impossible to get anything done. It's not that it absolutely can't be done but it is virtually so. Well, that definitely pushed me in a direction I was already headed, which was looking into a birth in Grenada. Basically, my philosophy is that women in every walk of life have babies in the same basic way. The natural process is the same in every country, religion, culture etc. The differences come in how people handle what nature does on its own. So, with that in mind, I have a friend here who got me in contact with a local midwife and I set up a meeting. I might devote a future post just to the midwife and her practice since it's really interesting but not in this already long post :-)
Feb 4, 2006:
The First Appointment. Margarite Sherriff (midwife) arrives at our house and goes over medical histories, listens to the baby's heartbeat, checks the size and position of my uterus, does some tests and gives me forms to get some bloodwork done at a local lab. The lab results come back normal and she accepts me as a patient (she only takes on low-risk pregnancies because she only delivers babies in the home of the patient :-)
Presently: So, now we are just playing the waiting game. You can see from previous posts the developments that have occurred along the way (most recent being the impending ultrasound :-D) and now hopefully you have a clearer picture of the background to my somewhat unconventional, tropical, Grenadian pregnancy story.

No comments: