Friday, May 19, 2006

Engagement

No, don't worry, this has nothing to do with sparkly diamonds or romantic stories. I am talking about the baby's head settling into my pelvic cavity. He has been in the "head down, facing my back" position (also called occiput anterior) a few weeks now and the last time Margarite checked he was "almost fully engaged". That means that she could only feel a small portion of his head above my pubic bone and that he only had a small amount of space before he was actually touching/resting on my pelvis. All that to say, I think that he fully engaged yesterday. I cannot be totally positove about this, of course, sine I have never done this before but I have a hunch. I was walking with a friend to go swimming and all of a sudden I got a really strong kick and the next thing I knew I felt like my hips were being forced in two directions. It was like someone was standing below me pulling down on the muscles between my legs/thighs while someone else was pushing a knee into my tailbone and pulling back on the sides of my hips. I stopped walking for a few seconds and promptly got a Braxton Hicks contraction but after catching my breath, I was pretty good. Now I just have this pretty constant feeling of carrying a large melon clamped between my thighs. An interesting concept, let me assure you. Anyway, I guess this means that we've hit another milestone. Hard to believe we only have 25 days to go!

2 comments:

Mama-Beans said...

I envy your engagement. My daughter didn't drop till I'd dialated to an 8. This little boy, although very LOW, I don't think I'd describe as "engaged" as I DON'T have the mellon-between-legs feeling that so many others mention, although I do have a great deal of contractions and cramping, etc.. Sigh. I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer.....

Grace said...

wow. that's so cool, to put it in excited "teen" words. interesting phrasing of "mellon-between-the-legs" as so many describe birthing as trying to squeeze something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a walnut. so mmm.. yeah.. something to look forward to, I'm sure. yah. :)