Thursday, May 04, 2006

So THAT'S what they meant...

I wondered if this was going to happen to me. I have always heard pregnant women (either current or already moms) talk about the painful kicks in the ribs. For a while there I wasn't even sure that I was going to get kicked in the ribs at all because everyone that is about as pregnant as me or even less was talking about it (I have a group of "pregnancy and mommy blogs" that I check regularly). So when I got the first kick in the ribs I posted but the kicks seemed to be pretty much like all the other movements I had been getting, just in a different location. NOT ANY MORE! Isaac is over 5 pounds now and even though he has a little more wiggle room than others his age (due to the freakishly tall Mommy he has with the "mile high" torso) he is managing to wedge his precious appendages up under my bottom ribs. So far we have a pretty acceptable system of communication worked out. I don't do certain things (lie on my stomach, slouch when sitting or standing, and don't eat too much too fast.) and he keeps his feet pretty much within the general area of the uterus and avoids trying to explore the uncharted territory of my upper thoracic cavity (lungs, stomach, heart etc). For the most part this is working for us and anytime either of us deviates we can remind the other of the status quo. Usually this means I get a kick that feels like he's attempting to puncture my lungs and he gets a bit of a coaxing nudge downwards on his foot when he tries to hook it around my skeletal structure. So basically, good times are being had by all. It's hard to believe I will have a little person in the house in a few weeks. It's hard enough wrapping my brain around what's going on now inside me and then taking on the thought of afterward....Whew. I just hope I'm tough enough for the transition, you know, that thing they call "labor". More on that in future...

No comments: