Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ode to dryers...

There are just some days I miss things that we take for granted in the States. My most common thought is of dishwashers. You have no idea how much I hate doing dishes by hand, period, never mind the fact that here in Grenada we don't have hot water unless I crank up the gas stove and warm it (keep in mind that "cold" days here are in the mid 70s anytime of year). But today it not the dishwasher I miss, it is the clothes dryer. I am sure my neighbors await with relish the day that I do the laundry. Since our house is on the side of a very steep hill we are pretty much in plain vieew of everyone that lives lower than we do. I can only imagine how comical it is to see a full term pregnant woman fighting with a king size set of sheets in a 20 mile an hour wind trying to get them to stay on the clothesline. I am sure it must be immensely amusing. Of course it might not be quite as amusing as watching me waddle as fast I can trying to get everything off the line before it gets soaked in the afternoon down pour only to have all the rain stop just as I get everything into the basket. At least then they get to watch the sheet routine again...

No comments: