Sunday, June 18, 2006

Sensitive readers be advised.

This post is the first of many that contain details about the process of labour and delivery. If you are prone to weak stomach and/or lack interest in details regarding birth you are advised to stop reading at the end of this paragraph. Just be aware that things are moving along and there will be more information later.

For the rest of you. Last night I started having some pretty heavy and regular contractions after dinner, as per the usual occurrence to date. Around 11pm I was headed to bed and passed the smallest of red mucus (about the size of pencil eraser) and was really not sure if this was significant so I decided to go to bed and try to sleep everything off. I slept harder than I have all week. Had contractions but they didn't really make a dent. I woke up this morning with a slight headache but otherwise feeling great. I have adopted the "tailor position" for sitting because it seems to increase fetal activity and I was checking my email this way when contractions started again. I lay down because my contractions seem to increase this way as opposed to everyone else telling me they get worse when walking. Walking stops everything for me so far. Anyway, I lay down for a few minutes and something just "didn't feel right" so I hopped up to use the bathroom. What do you know? THAT was the mucus plug. No mistaking that part of this process. Anyway, I know that many women lose the plug days before delivery and can even be dilated several centimetres for long periods of time. However, since I was shut up tighter than a pickle jar on Thursday I was very happy with any notable progress at all. Margarite is due to come visit me this afternoon if I don't call her to come earlier. I'll let you know how things go :-)

No comments: