Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The "new" me.

For those of you that have known me for a while or lived in close proximity to me for any length of time you will know that I am not what would be termed a "neat freak". Actually, I probably wouldn't even be termed "neat" :-) Barring those days at in college where freakishly tidy rooms were strictly enforced by women who had nothing better to do than inspect sinks for crud under the faucet, my living space generally looks like my closet threw up on it. Another thing...I have always been pretty creative (sewing, bead work, wood work, computer generated images etc) but while I loved to do those things I seemed to not use all the time I had in pursuing those things. This used to not bother me. At all. Then I had Isaac.

I think that before Isaac I had all this time to do what I willed and therefore always assumed there would be more time to do things (whether that be hobbies or housework) later. Now I have limited amounts of time to do ANYTHING due to a constant schedule of feeding, changing, burping and soothing. Given my previous tendencies I would predict that my house would self destruct inside of a week. However, what I have discovered is that I am now motivated to see how much can be accomplished in the small windows of opportunity afforded by nap time. Is this some kind of maternal instinct I haven't read about? Is it just a weird personality quirk (I have plenty of those :-) ? Or is it just that, all of a sudden, I can't be the kid anymore and there is an innate sense of "I must be a certain way because I am now the Mommy"?

I don't know, but I need to go start dinner.

PS. My house still isn't one for the Martha Stewart books and probably never will be but I just find that the mess gets on my nerves faster (possibly because there is nothing I can do about it even if I wanted to much of the time)

2 comments:

Grace said...

can't wait to get back and see the new you. heh. I'll gladly be recruited for tasks you want done but can't seem to find the time for :) 13 more days til I leave!

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie,
I used to see how much I could clean or tidy up in 15 minutes (which is about the total amount of time you slept at any one time during the day!). Give Isaac a big hug for me. Paul too. Lots of love! Mom :-)