Friday, September 29, 2006

Lady

Well, if you read Paul's blog you will already know what this post is about. Wednesday the 27th of September, Isaac, Lady and I went over to the pool across the street for a swim. We had some friends join us and Lady was a bit much for the little kids so I decided to bring her home for the last hour that we were going to be over there so that she wouldn't overwhelm the little ones. We have a 20 foot tie off chain that I had rigged up to the steel burglar proofing bars and shortened it so that when Lady was on the porch she could move around somewhat but still be safe on the porch. Not sure how it happened (I used the chain the previous day and it was fine) but apparently it wasn't as short as I thought. I came home and Lady didn't bark at us coming up the stairs. I thought maybe it was because we were all wet from the pool, making our smell and we weren't making noise so maybe she alcoveseep. I opened the front door and still nothing. Now I was worried. She should have heard that. But she has been getting more and more creative in her escape attempts, several times managing to get off her restraints and run around the yard until we get home. I called her as I lay Isaac on the bed but didn't hear her collar clinking or anything. Now I was really worried. I looked at the door to get ready to go out on the porch and I saw that the chain was taut against the bars and stretched across the porch. Now I was just scared.

I knew what was coming, as hard as I wanted it to be an empty collar at the end of that chain. I don't think I ever do that door open so fast. I should have gone slower to the rail but I couldn't. I should have stopped and steeled myself but I didn't. I rushed to the rail and looked right over into Lady's face with this lifeless expression that was frozen in a look that said, "Crud, I'm stuck!". At least I know she didn't suffer. There was no blood, no signs that
she struggled, just her hanging there limp. I couldn't help it. I screamed. The poor construction
workers must have thought the world was coming to an end. Several of them who were working
close to the house came over. One came up and put Lady up on the porch for me so I didn't have
to touch her. I called Paul and put her blanket over her and waited for him to come home.

He did eventually come home although I know it was hard for him. He also talked to our friend Grace who came and took Lady to the vet school where they can properly dispose of her or use her to teach people to be good vets.

So that is my story. I have been doing ok, I think. I try not to let myself feel too guilty or think of all the things I did or didn't do that I should have done that might have made things different. God knows it was for the best. Maybe if she'd lived there would have been something worse to come like a car accident or hurt child. Life will go on here... if just with a little less fur...

3 comments:

Shana said...

I am SO sorry. How awful for you to not only lose your beloved pet, but to find her like that. I am so, so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie,

I can't say how much I feel for you. I remember Lady with that silly big collar the vet had on her, scraping my legs and wanting to play. I will indeed miss her! She made me smile! She would come upstairs and sit with me while I had a quiet cup of tea. She was wonderful company. I love you and will always have wonderful memories of Lady. She loved you and Paul and Isaac. She was special--as are you. Love you, Mom

Jess said...

awww..Katy I'm so sorry to hear that! I know how hard it is losing pets! I just want to tell you Isaac is the cutest little boy! I'm so excited for you and Paul! Thanks for commenting on my blog, I was so happy to hear from you. We need to stay in touch alittle better, I have so much to tell you! :)