Monday, September 28, 2009

The Important Stuff

Over the weekend my husband and I had an ongoing discussion about something we read on the internet I am leaving the topic and any more info out on purpose because 1) I get too angry when I talk about it and 2) the subject isn't really important to my point. Anyway, at church on Sunday, Pastor Mike Devries spoke on "The Risks of a Strong Stand". You can hear it for yourself here if you'd like. It was a great blessing to my heart and helped me put things back in perspective.

Here's the thing. I have a lot of opinions. Everyone does. However, there are some things that are more important to take a stand on than others. I forget this. A LOT. Especially in conservative, Christian communities there can be a lot of things that are made out to be just about as important as the Gospel when in fact they are no where close. Translations, dress codes, Harry Potter, Twilight Series, personal music standards, all these things are fine to have opinions about but too often it frustrates me how inflated such trivialities become. Are we right on the things that matter most, like how one enters into a relationship with Christ and how one continues to become more Christlike? After these things, the rest is really just a matter of opinion.

No comments: