Thursday, April 14, 2011

The a-Ha earring moment

Kathleen Dustin wrote a fantastic article in the latest issue of Art Jewelry. It was about using the ear wire (the part of your earring that actually goes into the piercing) to enhance your design. I loved the article because for quite a while I have struggled to make earrings that I consider to be "WOW" earrings as opposed to just "nice" earrings. Thus began my project to begin developing my earring design skills.

Here you see a pair that I have used regular prefab ear wires. I decided to leave them this way for 2 reasons. A) Contrast and comparison to other options and B) I think that the prefabs in this design kind of "disappear" as in they go unnoticed. This suits me in this instance because it leaves all the attention on the art bead that I created. Will I change it in the future? Very possibly. But not today.


Here we have ear wires that I designed to go with the art beads I made but without drawing too much of their own attention. Yet by making my own I could keep the total length of the earring shorter because a prefab would have required using a jump ring or other element that would have made it too long.


Finally, I used fuchsia artistic wire to be an integral and essential part of this design. Are you surprised these are my favorite? ;)

What are your thoughts?

**Click on photos to enlarge**

3 comments:

Courtney said...

While they are all beautiful, that last pair rocks!

Jen V. said...

I read the same article and had the same reaction!! I'm definitely making a more conscious effort to think about the ear wires from the beginning of the project and not just slapping something on there as an afterthought. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about 2 inches of wire!!! haaaaaaaaa

Marie Young (Young Creative) said...

The last pair certainly has drama! I love how you used the three examples.