Saturday, July 09, 2011

Inspired by Nature challenge week 2.

This weeks' challenge motivated me to do several things I have wanted to try for quite some time but always seem to get distracted from. Using feathers for one and making nest components for another.

Here is my submission for the challenge. I call it "Fly" (bet you didn't see that coming, huh?). I made the nest myself! Yay, finally...now I think I might be addicted and you might start seeing nests all over the place. I hammered, stamped and put a liver of sulfur patina on the "charm". I have a hard time not still calling it a washer as it began ;)

Speaking of the charm...I actually started this post with the it placed higher on the chain but my Mom saw it and suggested maybe trying to move it down a link. You can see the original below and the final design is the one above. Which I liked much better. Isn't it funny what one link can mean?

Inspired by Nature Challenge wk2

Close up of the nest and charm. I did also put a patina of LoS on the nest too.

Inspired by Nature Challenge wk2

Handmade toggle. I LOVE this. You will definitely be seeing more of these. I might even put them in the shop.

Inspired by Nature Challenge wk2


Close up of the feather cluster.

Inspired by Nature Challenge wk2

And a bonus...

I said I had wanted to work with feathers...specifically...make peacock earrings. What better time to do it?! They are HUGE but I can't get enough of them.

Check out all of the challenge entries on Flickr.

5 comments:

EB Bead and Metal Works said...

Wow - stunning! I love all the different components you added and I really love that nest! Awesome necklace!!!!

somethingunique said...

everything turned out great & the feather to me accutually looks like a heart shape. Great Job
ttfn lana :)

Lotus said...

Wow! You did a super job on that nest, and I love the little charm. I agree; it looks better lower. The earrings are SO fun! I am loving the dyed guinea fowl feathers on the necklace because the colored dots really tie them in w/the flash peacock feather earrings. My grandparents had guineas when I was growing up, and I just loved them. They were go-to livestock for the pioneers because if anything or anyone came around, they started a ruckus. The were the watchdogs of prairie settlements! The true color of the feathers is black or gray with white dots. It is really neat how the spots can be dyed for unique looks.

Mandy said...

That is so awesome! I just love the little nest with eggs!

BackstoryBeads said...

I love the combination of materials you chose for this piece. It looks like it was a lot of fun to make - and it would be great fun to wear!